Trees for profit

Larry Caldwell larryc at
Mon Apr 14 01:56:19 EST 1997

In article <33491F4C.26FE at>,
Joseph Zorzin <redoak at> wrote:

> I wish I had a pulp market in western Mass. There is a fuewood market,
> but too many acres of low grade stuff, too few people want to work for
> almost nothing to cut the wood, and too few homeowners who care to burn
> wood. A vast potential going to waste, while we import oil and export
> jobs. We should export lawyers.

I understand Willamette Industries is trying to site a hardwood pulp
mill in Indiana, much to the distress of the tree huggers.  I tried
to explain how a local pulp market can offer shorter cycle returns
to tree growers and higher sawlog prices by using mill overrun, but
I'm not sure they understood how that could improve forest practices
in the area.

-- Larry