Trees for profit

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Tue Apr 15 06:01:51 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in article
<334E3D10.30C2 at forestmeister.com>...
> Don Staples wrote:
>
> > Yep, best we can do is some to Louisianna, less to Mississippi and
> > Georgia.  No infrastructure to support the transfer of raw product or
> > finished goods.  Part of the problem is the attitude about hard wood
> > compared to the $450+ price for pine right now, as long as there is no
> > hard wood market, we wont create one!  Fast growth high dollar pine vs
> > slow growth questionable value hard wood, even with bottem land sites
> > primarily hard wood.
>
> It blows me away when you mention $450 for pine. I'm lucky to get $60
> here in Mass.

Yeah, our prices for pine and hemlock are low.  I think most of this is due
to marketing of the products on the East Coast.  Most mills turn their
noses up at pine.  The log cabin craze may be dying down due to the
industry's inability to attract builders to their homes.  Cabins do not
look good in suburban settings.  I don't know of any outlets for dimension
stock in pine.  Usually pine gets sold to locals for construction.  Pine
gets cut the same way as oak - a 2x4 is 2" by 4" not cut on 6/4 scale like
in other sections of the country.  Less yield makes the resource more
expensive.

But, I bet Southern foresters would be blown away by the prices we get for
hardwoods.  $500-700 for mixed oak and poplar is not uncommon here.  I've
seen State sales of cherry over $1000/Mbf.

I guess it all kind of balances out.