Forest Practices

Kathleen Brown kats at nanaimo.ark.com
Thu Apr 24 01:58:12 EST 1997

doug fir IS mildly shade tolerant, so it should have no problem germinating
under the right environmental factors (some light, moisture, well-drained,
etc.) BUT don't expect it to grow in leaps and bounds until the overstorey
starts to fall (naturally or otherwise) -  for optimum growth, full
sunlight is desirable.   Check "Regenerating BC's Forests" UBC Press 1990 -
there is a table on page 66 that cites many different growth factors for
different native species.  As I only occasionally take anything i read at
face value, i can back this up with a few years of  field experience :)
- this also holds true for other coniferous species, only with different
levels of shade tolerance...

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote in article <861854956.19673 at dejanews.com>...