Severance and property taxes

Robert Plamondon robert at plamondon.COM
Wed Aug 6 09:54:05 EST 1997

In article <33E6F973.2485 at forestmeister.com> Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> writes:

>OK, nice theory, only you will find few takers. The problem
>libertarianism is that before long we'd be back in the Middle Ages. One
>percent of the ultra rich would own 99% of the land, live in mansions
>and the rest of us would live in mud huts. And that is what happens when
>you don't have government around to restrain the ultra fucking greed of
>the most powerful individuals. So how would you like living in a mud
>hut- because you just might not be one of those top 1%.

Here it is, almost at the end of the 20th century, which marked a new
high in governmental greed and excess.  How many genocides can you
name off the top of your head? (In Germany, the USSR, Armenia,
Cambodia, and Rwanda, just for starters.)  How many lengthy wars can
you name that went on and on because the political leaders would have
lost power if it had stopped? (Try WWI, WWII, the Falklands War, and
the Iran/Iraq war just for starters.)  Brainwashing, castration of
"undesirables," midnight abduction, legions of informers, lethal
medical experiments -- twentieth-century governments have done it
all, on a gargantuan scale, over and over again.

The twentieth century has not been a good period for the concept that
government is anything but a ravening monster.  Sure, the U.S. only
built a few concentration camps during WWII, and we only drafted a
couple of generations of young men who were too young to vote to
fight wars they had no say in, and government implementations of the
Eugenics movement only sterilized thousands "undesirables" (not the
millions they talked about), and government medical experiments on
unwilling subjects weren't all that common, and the government only
nuked a few pieces of desert, sending fallout clouds (whose danger
they lied about) over a few states.

And YOUR point is that, simply by raising the spectre of rich guys
with diamond stickpins, we are supposed to run screaming to our
government and beg for their protection.  We're supposed to be more
impressed by the terrible power of Microsoft than the wastefulness of
the Vietnam War or the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII.

Sounds pretty screwy to me.

	-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert at plamondon.com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139