Midwest Stumpage Prices.

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Sat Aug 16 20:11:39 EST 1997

Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote in article
<33F36251.172A at livingston.net>...
> As a consulting forester I subscrib to many price trends reports.  The
> following is straight from west of the Mississippi wood lands.
>
> Joseph, how does this compare to the east?
>
> International 1/4" scale. Price per thousand on saw logs.  Weighted
> average price.

Prices in PA are usually on Doyle rule with some areas using Scribner.
International fixes too much value on small logs, which drags down values
on larger logs.  Prices floating around are:

White oak veneer:  $1500-$2000
Red oak veneer:  $1500-$1800
Ash veneer (2/3 white):  $2000-$4000
Cherry veneer:  $3000+
Tulip poplar veneer (1/2 white):  $800

 Low grade logs go about $100-200.  Tie logs can be higher.  We get more
for our ties than in other parts of the country; however, most of our ties
are oak.

Quality oak sawlogs are around $700.
Quality tulip poplar sawlogs are around $500.
Hard maple is usually as good as red oak, under current markets.
Unlimited quantities of white pine and hemlock can be bought for $90/Mbf on
the stump.  Poor marketing by the mills brings about this situation.

> White oak veneer logs:  $880
> basswood	$240
> Black Walnut	$595
> Cottonwood	$50
> Hackberry	$160
> Hard Maple	$180
> Hickory	$65
> Mixed Hardwoods	$75
> Oak (mixed)	$120
> Red oak (group)	$155
> S Yellow Pine $130  (I'm getting $435 (doyle) in Texas)
> Soft Maple	$95
> White oak (group) $160
>
> The time on this was April-June.  The report indicated consultant
> offered sales were way off previous months, and only state sales pumped
> the market.  This report is for Missouri, where approximately half the
> state is in timber.  Interesting enough, black walnet vaneer logs showed
> no sales in this period.
>
> Whats happened to the hardwood market?

The hardwood market is starting to shift away from open grained to painted
products and closed grained species.  25 yrs ago, Red oak was extremely
unpopular and it was not being harvested.  These cycles go every 30 years,
although the current red oak frenzy has lasted longer than normal.  Hard
maple is now as high or higher than red oak.  Other factors include the
European markets, which has helped maintain the US oak market.  For
furniture and flooring, only 1 and 2 common is needed.  F1F and FAS goes
into molding and export.  The local large mill has decreased exports from
50% of production to 4%.

Ron Wenrich