What is agroforestry? Well...

Jamie Simpson jamessim at uoguelph.ca
Sun Aug 17 21:58:58 EST 1997

Michael Hagen wrote:

> > Jamie Simpson wrote in article <33F3C660.1450 at uoguelph.ca>...:Yes, this most
> > certainly is agroforestry.  Seeing as how high THC 'Weed'
> > :can be grown here, there is no reason to believe that low THC hemp could
> > :not be grown for fibre production.   There are a few trial plots of
> > :monocropped hemp in Ontario.

> Just saw a breakdown on the conifer fiber vs. hemp vs. kenaf issue.
> Without going into exhausting detail the American Forest & Paper Assoc.
> found that "the highest yield of paper grade (hemp) fiber is 1.17
> tons/acre in Italy.  Kenaf and hardwood "supertrees"  produce close to 6
> t/a.
> Now I admit to never having grown either of the alternative crops
> myself, but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that hemp and kenaf
> would be grown in a very intensive manner, that is, high in herbicide
> use, high fertilization, and with very little plant matter returned to
> the soil?  This doesn't sound compatible with most forest conditions,
> much less what we would consider in healthy riparian areas.  Sounds
> better for low value ag lands. Please correct me if I'm off target.

You are right on growing hemp on poor ag land.  Prime lands targeted in
Ontario are former tobacco lands.  Sandy, droughty and low fertility.
But hemp is more versatile than wood fibre.  It can be used for rope,
fabric, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff aside from paper.  I don't
know about kenaf other than it makes very high quality paper without the
need for a lot of chemical bleaching.

Jamie

.