About Rare Plants -

Dave Marciniak dmarcini at up.net
Tue Aug 19 13:11:51 EST 1997

After buying a woodlot, we discovered a number of rare or endangered
plants growing along the stream and in various other points on the land.
"Hmmm," I said to myself, "maybe I can sell some of these rare plants to
other woodlot owners. By propagating these plants, I could help increase
the species and make some extra cash on the side."
Then someone said, No. No. No. You can't do that. The environmental
Gestapo would be all over you.
It's my guess that the truth lies somewhere between unfetered
do-what-you-will libertarianism and the Gestapo scenario. Having dealt
with government bureaucracies in other matters, I know I can expect a
dozen different conflicting opinions on this matter. The schizophrenic
bureaucrats can offer you approval one day, and take it away the next.
For example, a fellow asked permission from the state to build duck ponds
on his land. They said go ahead after he got the permits. Well, he built
the ponds and another agency came along and said what he did was wrong,
and they fined him $600,000. He ran them off his land with a shotgun. Now
the bureaucrats can't sort it out, and the judge has thrown up his hands
in frustration.
So, has anyone researched the idea of selling rare plants?