deer problems

tvoivozhd tvoivozd at roanoke.infi.net
Sun Aug 31 20:54:29 EST 1997

kats wrote:

>  +no, i have nothing against venison or hunting (to a certain extent)
>
> :
> :FYI, agroforestry pretty much mandates controlling wildlife numbers.  If
> :natural predation and disease don't do the job, you have to get out there
> :and do it yourself.  Fortunately, deer are an excellent edible species
> :in high demand.  Even if you don't care to go to all the work yourself,
> :it's not hard to find hunters who will thin your herd.
> No thanks - I like my herd the way it is  :)
> Well, forestry here has less to do with wildlife - We have the Ministry of
> Forests and the Ministry of the Environment - neither ever agree on
> anything....
> :I ask hunters to let me know when they take a deer, so I can keep tabs on
> :the size of the herd.  Last hunting season I let hunters take 16 deer on
> :my property, which leaves a herd of ten to twelve plus this year's fawns.
> :That's a reasonable size for my acreage, so I won't allow so many to be
> :taken this fall.  Still, to keep them from getting out of hand, somebody
> :is going to have to eat four or five of them.
>
> I have friends who are hunters...I can't help but ask.....
> Who died and made humans god?

tvoivozhd>>>the mitochondria traceable to the woman who began homo sapiens a few
hundred thousand years back in Central Africa---if you define god(s) as
omnipresent, with overwhelming power over other lifeforms (viruses and bacteria
excepted).

> :Deer are browsers, and keep moving while they eat.  In small numbers, while
> :they nibble on seedlings, they don't do too much damage.  In large numbers
> :they start stripping all the foliage off of seedlings, which can set them
> :back one to several growing seasons.  There's no reason to allow a herd of
> :edible animals to cost you 5% of your growth cycle.
>
> Humans are also browsers - they go where the food, jobs, etc. are.

tvoivozhd>>>In Texas, they're called trespassers---not exactly a longevity
trait.

> I have been in forestry on the west coast for over 6 years -  yes, deer
> browse.  they like to eat cedar, fir and hemlock(sometimes balsam).  They
> eat very little yellow cedar - browse is not detrimental  to the health of a
> seedling unless it is repeated...
> Kath

Tvoivozhd>>>Your deer have evidently attended charm school.  They don't nibble
naturally seeded black locust, tulip magnolia (yellow cedar) or juniper, but
completely destroy fifty percent of annual plantings of chestnuts, carpathians,
heartnuts, black walnuts, pecans, persimmons, apples, pears and peaches (in the
Appalachians).My preference is to see deer as did the Indians---occasionally and
a few, at dawn or dusk, near water or grazing succulent clover.  Beyond that,
they are a camcer in this ecosystem and for the benefit of the rest of it,
should be reduced drastically.  In the absence of wolves and cougars, hunters
become the only line of defense, albeit a poor one (the quality and quantity of
hunters has declined in the past decade or more).