The debate

Jostnix jostnix at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 10:19:18 EST 1997

In article <6610vk$b54 at bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, "Paul Morgan"
<t2r6 at worldnet.att.net> writes:

>If I invest time and money to increase future wood quality and quantity and
>the current market value of the land doesn't reflect this, I would think
>that the root of the problem is that woodlot improvements are not valued
>properly.

The Income Capitalization Approach is just one method designed to reflect
forest management improvements as a part of the equation.  As Joe stated, large
industrial timber owners use just these types of appraisals and make money (by
paying foresters good money) to do this.

Unfortunately, the smaller, private timberland owner has never heard of these
types of appraisals and either sell through a real estate agent or on his own.
Larry Caldwell is a unique owner that has a sense of future worth and will
demand it in an appraisal.  But I fear most property is sold without a clue to
potential value...both positive and negative.  Quite frankly, I think many
forest consultants can't appraise a forest correctly.  You need to seek out
consultants that do this as a specialty.

Steve Nix

      )(
    ))}{((
``````) (_________John Stephen Nix