On Forest Valuation (Debate)

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Tue Dec 2 11:02:47 EST 1997

In article <19971202123800.HAA14800 at ladder01.news.aol.com>,
  jostnix at aol.com (Jostnix) wrote:

> You done good, Joe...(used to be The Debate)
>
> You thought about your subject, created a plan of attack, debated logically
> item by item, did not get mad.....AND MADE EXCELLENT POINTS that make us dumb
> foresters proud.
>
> Like that style big guy,
>
> Steve Nix
>
>       )(
>     ))}{((
>   ))))}{((((
> ))))))}{((((((
> ``````) (_________John Stephen Nix
> "Everybodys ignorant 'cept on different things"  Will Rogers
> Alabama Forestry Link...http://members.aol.com/jostnix/index.htm
> http://forestry.miningco.com

Speaking of different things, foresters who fail to take into account
mycorrhizal fungi may be dealing with only part of the whole.

Recently received news from a commercial truffle hunter near Salem,
Oregon. He reported 3 other truffle hunters coming out of private forest
with 35 gallons of Oregon White truffles, worth about $30 per pound
wholesale. These thieves harvested about 5-7 pounds per gallon, according
to my harvest records. That means they removed $30 x 35 x 5 in one day's
pick, or a total wholesale value of $5250 from a forester who didn't even
realize he was being robbed. I am currently selling these same truffles
for $115 per pound. The retail value of these truffles was thus $20,125.
Not a bad haul for a day's work for three thieves. I wonder how many
loggers make that kind of money in a day. Or foresters.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com