other $$$ {On Forest Val... (Debate)} & another question

jimi jimi at hendrix.com
Tue Dec 2 18:26:48 EST 1997

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> In article <19971202123800.HAA14800 at ladder01.news.aol.com>,
>   jostnix at aol.com (Jostnix) wrote:
> >
> > You done good, Joe...(used to be The Debate)
> >
> > You thought about your subject, created a plan of attack, debated logically
> > item by item, did not get mad.....AND MADE EXCELLENT POINTS that make us dumb
> > foresters proud.
> >
> > Like that style big guy,
> >
> > Steve Nix
> >
> >       )(
> >     ))}{((
> >   ))))}{((((
> > ))))))}{((((((
> > ``````) (_________John Stephen Nix
> > "Everybodys ignorant 'cept on different things"  Will Rogers
> > Alabama Forestry Link...http://members.aol.com/jostnix/index.htm
> > http://forestry.miningco.com
>
> Speaking of different things, foresters who fail to take into account
> mycorrhizal fungi may be dealing with only part of the whole.
>
> Recently received news from a commercial truffle hunter near Salem,
> Oregon. He reported 3 other truffle hunters coming out of private forest
> with 35 gallons of Oregon White truffles, worth about $30 per pound
> wholesale. These thieves harvested about 5-7 pounds per gallon, according
> to my harvest records. That means they removed $30 x 35 x 5 in one day's
> pick, or a total wholesale value of $5250 from a forester who didn't even
> realize he was being robbed. I am currently selling these same truffles
> for $115 per pound. The retail value of these truffles was thus $20,125.
> Not a bad haul for a day's work for three thieves. I wonder how many
> loggers make that kind of money in a day. Or foresters.
>
> Daniel B. Wheeler
> http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

I guess thats why in Texas a fence, crop field (uncut), posting, etc.
serves as the first warning for use of deadly force.

A friend of mine confronted some individuals hauling away seemingly
harmless rocks (required pulleys or levers to move).  Unfortunately, it
wasn't Texas, and the County Sherrif was really not interested.  These
cute boulders find their way into newbie landscaping for driveways, etc.
at a steep price.  Unfortunately, I do not have a detailed documentation
of the value as our friend, Mr. Wheeler has presented.  Crop robbery
exists from commercial stuff, right down to Acorns, and of course...
mushrooms (morels are my favorite).  How about all-healing fountains of
youth -- there actually have been water thefts specifically from a
mystical source on private land (many similar springs were nearby on
public lands and more easily accessable).  That "snake-oil" sells for
$25.00 / gal.

I guess us IGNORANT, etc. property owners should elect to use foresters
AND a number of other "professionals" in various sciences before making
any valuation of a parcel.  Once again, I don't agree with
"requiring...".

What other professions with regard to property evaluation would be as
important or more important than our friendly forester?

1.  Historian

any more?

Anybody????

Thanks in advance.