The debate

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Wed Dec 3 05:48:35 EST 1997

Paul Morgan wrote:

> Joseph Zorzin wrote in message <34842543.BAF at forestmeister.com>...
> >
> >But REALLY bad logging can cause fires and flooding or cut neighbors
> >trees and cause a Hatfield and McCoy feuds with all you good old boys
> >from New Hampshire. <G>
>
> But these types of situations are adequately covered by civil litigation and
> can be avoided anyway by minimal educational effort and supervision on the
> part of the landowner.

Yuh, in theory. But the reality of the situation is that these BAD
things really do happen on a regular basis. And do you really want to
get the lawyers involved AFTER somebody burns down a mountain side or
floods the village?

It really amazes me why a landowner would NOT want a professional
forester involved if their property is being logged. That's what a prof.
forester is all about- to bring out about silviculture, and to oversee
the loggers and to ensure a the highest possible selling price for the
timber and to avoid having a problem with environemtnal laws, etc., etc.
And your mentioning "minimal educational effort" as if to say such
MINIMAL effort will suffice; which sounds like a serious put down of
what a professional forester is. Good forestry, especially the logging
job, is a VERY complex subject, WAY BEYOND, a minimal educational
effort. MOST logging going on in the northeast is still without a
forester and most landowners are NOT getting a fair price and they're
NOT getting silvicultural. Do you think these same landowners would sell
their house without a real estate broker AND a lawyer? They might, but
it's very risky and basicly stupid.

> >I contend that having a forester involved is WORTH the cost, because a
> >competant forester will assure you get a better price and avoid the
> >worse case scenario problems.
>
> This may be the case for certain landowners (perhaps even a majority).  But
> that doesn't change the fundamentals of the issue - the owner of the land
> has the right to manage or mismanage their land free from the burden of Big
> Forester.  Because my land is NOT community property.

Sure, go ahead be Mister Independant Doesn't Need Anybody Telling Me
What To Do and find yourself getting ripped off and your land raped. And
then face the consequences when bad things happen, which I'm NOT
fantasizaing about because these bad things happend ALL the time; which
is why we have laws in the first place; but the laws are inadequet; so
SMART people retain competant forestry consultants just like they also
retain CPA's, and other professionals.

Actually I have no philosophical dissagreement with "live free or die".
My ideal world was North America before the white guys showed up. It was
a paradise for those living here; after all; there were NO lawyers. <G>

And if you're a logger or landowner, why not write up an esay for my
essay page? (see below). I'm looking for ALL kinds of opinions,
especially opinions I don't agree with. I'd like the esssays page to be
a collection of opinions from all segments of this complex world of
forest land ownership and mgt. including landowners, environmentalists,
loggers, foresters, and even bureaucrats; and God Forbid, even lawyers
if I can find one that can actually write a legible essay.
--
-------
http://forestmeister.com

http://forestmeister.com/global-online-essays/home.html
"Earth's only online forestry journal containing essays from the cutting
edge- no pun intended"