Windbreaks for agricultural field

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Wed Dec 3 10:06:09 EST 1997

TREEFARMER at webtv.net wrote:

> I think I saw part of the information Jimi was talking about by the
> National Arbor Day Foundation but it was in an American Forests
> magazine. Sorry, don't have the date.
>
> Another source you may want to look to is the
> Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration, Box
> 940, Indian Head, Saskatchewan, Canada
> S0G 2K0, (306-695-2284). They have gobs of information on shelterbelts,
> snow fences, and shelterbelts in regards to crop yields. These people
> now about wind and snow.
>
> In furtherance of this particular discussion, let me throw out these
> thoughts for input:
>
> In our own "agroforestry" operation we noticed this year, via GPS yield
> monitoring equipment, that yields are reduced next to heavy shading
> trees but not lightly shading trees like Black Locust. We root pruned
> along the edge of the field, about 10' away from the base of the trees,
> but I'm not sure that was a good idea. The main problem seems to be that
> the ground next to the woods doesn't want to dry out which contributes
> to a lack of growth of the crops. My gut feeling is that in wet years
> one might be worse off, and in dry years, better off.
>
> Is anyone else dealing with this situation?

Ah, simple question, but have you checked the orientation of the fields
to the timber?  Could shade be causing the reduction?  Any of the trees
walnut?  They produce a natural plant inhibiter.  If its a grain crop,
why not just leave the outside rows to the critters and not worry about
it?
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335