Windbreaks for agricultural field

TREEFARMER at webtv.net TREEFARMER at webtv.net
Tue Dec 2 23:29:32 EST 1997

I think I saw part of the information Jimi was talking about by the
National Arbor Day Foundation but it was in an American Forests
magazine. Sorry, don't have the date.

Another source you may want to look to is the
Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration, Box
940, Indian Head, Saskatchewan, Canada
S0G 2K0, (306-695-2284). They have gobs of information on shelterbelts,
snow fences, and shelterbelts in regards to crop yields. These people
now about wind and snow.

In furtherance of this particular discussion, let me throw out these
thoughts for input:

In our own "agroforestry" operation we noticed this year, via GPS yield
monitoring equipment, that yields are reduced next to heavy shading
trees but not lightly shading trees like Black Locust. We root pruned
along the edge of the field, about 10' away from the base of the trees,
but I'm not sure that was a good idea. The main problem seems to be that
the ground next to the woods doesn't want to dry out which contributes
to a lack of growth of the crops. My gut feeling is that in wet years
one might be worse off, and in dry years, better off.

Is anyone else dealing with this situation?