The debate

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Dec 4 12:21:43 EST 1997

Paul Morgan wrote:

> Don Staples wrote in message <34857493.67CC at livingston.net>...
>
> >No, boils down to ego, "we don't need no stinkin' foresters", the same
> >folks that hire the lawyer, doctor, accountant, lawn boy, will not hire
> >a forester 'cause he can do it his own bad self.  And he can, and I
> >clean up their messes and make money off of 'em.
>
> But might not this speak more of foresters than landowners?  After all, by
> your own admission, we do hire other professionals.  Which takes me full
> circle to "lead by example, not legislation."
>
> Oh, well...off to sneak in some more unlicensed trimming of uncertified pine
> with unregistered weopons right under the nose of Big Forester.

I am not real sure where this circle is going, but, no private
consulting forester wants a government directive ordering the landowner
to use their services.  For as soon as that order goes down, so does the
hand book (cook book) on how the job needs to/will  be done, by the
numbers (recipe). SIP has been a perfect example of this, with the state
agency benefiting more from the "supervision" than the land owner or
forester doing the work.

If your competent and capable of doing the full job of forestry, have at
it.   Got your herbicid certification?  Got your law books on
environmental restrictions?  Loggers and millers know you by reputation
and name?  Know how to establish site index, basal area, cut rate, cost
projections, etc? Know the tax laws? Keep up with the literature
effecting practices?  Annual updates by the powers that be (state
boys)?   Do you belong to the  organizations that defends your private
and individual rights in the halls of Congress and the state
Legislature?

Your Big Forester is the government, and not necessarily a forester, but
some burro in EPA, DEM, TNRC (aka, Train Wreck, Texas Natural REsource
Commission), Air and Water Quality, Archaeologlical Commission,, ad
infinitum.

And most folks hire the other professionals after they have tried the
home remedy, found out that it is a civil case and not criminal, and
generally gotten deeper in the hole.  Except in forestry, the mistakes
don't show up for years, and you can be smug and happy about saving the
6 or 15 percent until the next sucker buys your property.
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335