Stumpage vales, was :Ignorance Tax

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Dec 4 22:44:34 EST 1997

BOBNDWOODS wrote:

> In article <3486975E.359E at forestmeister.com>, Joseph Zorzin
> <redoak at forestmeister.com> writes:
>
> >BOBNDWOODS wrote:
> >
> >In article <347CAE61.A75D62CD at lebmofo.com>, Ron Wenrich
> ><woodtick at lebmofo.com> writes:
> >
> >>I've been struggling with why there is a difference between timber value and
> >>the price that landowners receive for their timber, especially after seeing
> >>Don and Bob go around about consulting vs industrial forestry.  Timber value
> >>should equal log value less logging costs less profit.  But, not all
> >>landowners receive that.  Is it because profit is exceedingly high?  Is it
> >>due to a high risk factor? Or is there something missing from the economic
> >>equation?
>
> Wait, did I write that???

Nah, I think he was making reference to a little difference of opinion
of position in the field for procurement foresters you and I discussed.

"Or is there something missing from the economic equation?", yep,
usually an independent forester.

BOBNWOODS, during a locale sale one of my procurement buddies bid an
exteamly low price on timber I had for sale, one week prior he bid and
took a sale for the same amount my sale went for.  When I asked him why
(my timber was of better grade and volume) he kind of shrugged and said
"I dont know", walked off shaking his head.  So sometimes it is a matter
of how you see the tract.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335