Today's Forests Lack Color

TREES4WOOD trees4wood at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 17:56:14 EST 1997

I do believe there is a distinct problem with the lack of minorities involved
in natural resources.  When I was attending a state school in the west there
were only a handful of minorties attending the natural resources school and if
I recall correctly, all of them were exchange students or foreign students from
Africa.  I agree that most minorities tend to be centered in urban areas.  For
this reason I think they miss the opportunities to explore the national forests
that many rural people have.  I believe that groups like 4-H and the boy scouts
contribute significantly to an appreciation of natural resources but these tend
to be focused in rural areas.  How would you recommend we go about introducing
minorities (who seem to uninterested for the most part) to the wonders of the
natural world?