Joseph Zorzin redoak at
Sun Dec 7 15:52:25 EST 1997

> >In National Forests, creating massive clearcuts highly visible next to
> >major roads is *%@)*%|* brain dead. If the clearcuts were smaller and
> >hidden away, the tourists wouldn't have minded as they're too lazy and
> >fearfull of getting more than 100' from their oversized sport utility
> >vehicles.
> I believe that it is irresponsible for well trained foresters to hide their
> work from the public.  That only leads the public to believe that we have
> something to hide which in turn leads them to believe that we are doing
> something wrong.  I think that if we put our management activities out in the
> open and in clear view we can explain the reasons for performing that
> management strategy.  Simple roadside signs can be used to explain what is
> happening and why it is being done.  This makes foresters proactive and gives
> us a chance to inform the public immediately as opposed to waiting to respond
> to their reactions after they have had a chance to hear from the
> anti-clearcutting segment of society.

It's not a question of hiding the work, but not blowing people's eyes
out with massive multi thousand acre horrific clearcuts visible for many
miles that is not uncommon in some places.

> I have performed thinning and clearcutting directly adjacent to roads.  This
> allows the public to see what is going on as well as allowing us to clean up
> the logging residue following harvest.  There are many people who prefer the
> aged fallen timber for firewood instead of having to fall their own trees.  It
> also allows us to use the firewood harvesting public to "clean up" our clear
> cutting areas.

Around here you'd be breaking the law- the cutting practices act in
Massachusetts specificially says you must have roadside buffers. Let's
face it, logging, even when well done is ugly as hell. It's a matter of
being discreet.

And allowing the public in to clean up wouldn't be wise on private
property for legal reasons.

"The only forestry web page in the otherwise sophisticated state of
"Earth's only online forestry journal containing essays from the cutting
edge- no pun intended"