Clearcutting.

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sun Dec 7 15:52:25 EST 1997

TREES4WOOD wrote:

> >In National Forests, creating massive clearcuts highly visible next to
> >major roads is *%@)*%|* brain dead. If the clearcuts were smaller and
> >hidden away, the tourists wouldn't have minded as they're too lazy and
> >fearfull of getting more than 100' from their oversized sport utility
> >vehicles.
>
> I believe that it is irresponsible for well trained foresters to hide their
> work from the public.  That only leads the public to believe that we have
> something to hide which in turn leads them to believe that we are doing
> something wrong.  I think that if we put our management activities out in the
> open and in clear view we can explain the reasons for performing that
> management strategy.  Simple roadside signs can be used to explain what is
> happening and why it is being done.  This makes foresters proactive and gives
> us a chance to inform the public immediately as opposed to waiting to respond
> to their reactions after they have had a chance to hear from the
> anti-clearcutting segment of society.

It's not a question of hiding the work, but not blowing people's eyes
out with massive multi thousand acre horrific clearcuts visible for many
miles that is not uncommon in some places.

> I have performed thinning and clearcutting directly adjacent to roads.  This
> allows the public to see what is going on as well as allowing us to clean up
> the logging residue following harvest.  There are many people who prefer the
> aged fallen timber for firewood instead of having to fall their own trees.  It
> also allows us to use the firewood harvesting public to "clean up" our clear
> cutting areas.

Around here you'd be breaking the law- the cutting practices act in
Massachusetts specificially says you must have roadside buffers. Let's
face it, logging, even when well done is ugly as hell. It's a matter of
being discreet.

And allowing the public in to clean up wouldn't be wise on private
property for legal reasons.

--
-------
http://forestmeister.com

http://forestmeister.com/global-online-essays/home.html
"Earth's only online forestry journal containing essays from the cutting
edge- no pun intended"