Clearcutting.

TREES4WOOD trees4wood at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 12:23:01 EST 1997

>In National Forests, creating massive clearcuts highly visible next to
>major roads is *%@)*%|* brain dead. If the clearcuts were smaller and
>hidden away, the tourists wouldn't have minded as they're too lazy and
>fearfull of getting more than 100' from their oversized sport utility
>vehicles.

I believe that it is irresponsible for well trained foresters to hide their
work from the public.  That only leads the public to believe that we have
something to hide which in turn leads them to believe that we are doing
something wrong.  I think that if we put our management activities out in the
open and in clear view we can explain the reasons for performing that
management strategy.  Simple roadside signs can be used to explain what is
happening and why it is being done.  This makes foresters proactive and gives
us a chance to inform the public immediately as opposed to waiting to respond
to their reactions after they have had a chance to hear from the
anti-clearcutting segment of society.

I have performed thinning and clearcutting directly adjacent to roads.  This
allows the public to see what is going on as well as allowing us to clean up
the logging residue following harvest.  There are many people who prefer the
aged fallen timber for firewood instead of having to fall their own trees.  It
also allows us to use the firewood harvesting public to "clean up" our clear
cutting areas.