Clearcutting.

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Mon Dec 8 13:47:39 EST 1997

Several years back a friend who does features for the Oregonian came up
here (north Olympic pen.) to write the final story on the rape of the
forest, the incompetent forest service and the dreaded Owl. This was
shortly after Wm. Dietrich's book 'the Final Forest' came out. We went
out to the west end to talk to some of the same folks that were in the
book and look at the several spots he had heard about which were
especially devastated.

As it happens there are several 250+ acre clearcuts near Sappho, WA on
US101. These were (in 1994) the fresh, bombstruck,debris piled,nothing
left but broom handles and poster children of the Wilderness Society PR
campaign.  I mean, one of them was the poster in our office. Now
admittedly, I've laid out CCs beyond count and some were big, but they
weren't on a major tourist route. We had some smarts. To a jaded
unreformed timber beast they weren't even that bad. The ground was flat.
No erosion. The area was already replanted. In ten years you wouldn't be
able to see across the unit. Bad points : the clearing was too big to
pick up much natural seed and would be a fire hazard during east winds.

Its been a while but the action went something like this...

My reporter buddy is excited and starts taking pictures. God this is
terrible, what the heck were they thinking...  I mention that the USFS
land is on the ridge, way up there...and about 60% covered with trees by
the look of it. Whose was this we were on? State of Washington DNR and
the former Crown Zellerbach. But the state does not clearcut, he had
heard. That's new, I said, since the Olympic Experimental Forest was
formed. These are adjacent five acre small sales, which are by
definition not clearcuts since they left the broom handles. (This was
pretty early in "New Forestry.")

Oh, he says. Not forest service. Nope. Those are way up the watershed.
Since the Feds locked up the owl circles and incidentaly included big
areas of high watershed State land, the State cut had to be moved to the
lowlands. The lowlands were all previously cut, mostly during the '30s
so they weren't considered owl habitat. But that's where the roads and
tourists were. Bad PR. And this was happening in a dozen spots in the
Puget lowlands. Almost 100% state and private.

Hmmm, he says, so how many guys got work out of this?  Not nearly as
many as used to, since one outfit got most of these small sales and used
a shovel (a hydraulic excavator with thumb). That let them underbid
everyone else. I'd say, probably two. Rather than ten, which would have
had work if they used a tower. So 8 woods crew got laid off for every
shovel still working. Give or take the few who had the money to buy new
equipment.

Times have changed again and owl circles have been dropped. Now private
landowners and the state slip out of the preservation mode whenever
there is federal land nearby to save "for the owls." Small private
owners were never locked up and cut all they could especially those with
land adjacent to the National Park. Now, most places we look, we can see
forever...  Tourists to the Olympic are in a constant state of anger and
disgust.

I suppose we should be thankful that so few ever vote? And that trees
grow, no matter what we do.

Mike H.