Asian Long-Horned Beetle

Joseph Zorzin redoak at
Tue Dec 9 22:13:59 EST 1997

BREW wrote:
> The Asian Long-Horned Beetle opened the eyes of many here in Vermont.  The
> sugarmakers appear to be the most concerned.I have heard little comment
> from others involved in the forest products industry.
> The article in Journal of Forestry seems to say that Vermont would be at
> the edge of the Long Horned-Beetles range. If some beetles are to make it
> too Vermont they won't be able to survive an old-fashion winter here in the
> North Country.  Any comments?
> Jim

How does it injure the tree? Just eating foliage or attacking the bark
and wood? Is is likely to just be a pest or wipe out the maples?

Hmmm... I've got to talk to a friend who is an arborist and see what he
says about this issue. Sugar maple is a very important species here in
western Mass.

"The only forestry web page in the otherwise sophisticated state of
"Earth's only online forestry journal containing essays from the cutting
edge- no pun intended"