Log exports; was field skills lacking?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Dec 11 11:09:40 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> Regarding exporting logs- heck, we import stuff, we have to export
> stuff; and our exports haven't equalled imports in decades so we can't
> artificially reduce exporting logs. If local mills can't afford to
> compete, too bad. That's capitialism.

Yeh, but, under NAFTA an import level for forest products was
established with Canada, with set definitions and limitations on volumes
(way damn high for my opinion) and now the "gift of NAFTA" is being
returned in spades by the Canadians.  The US Customs folks have decided
that wood imported that has been "milled" (changed from a stud to a stud
with a hole drilled in it) does not fit the NAFTA volume quotas and is
free to be imported with out regard to volume limits.  Any timber or
wood that has been "post manufactured" is free of limitations.
Competition with Canadian Timber is tough, with the goverment up their
supporting the timber industry at even higher levels than the US.  The
US Government has managed to undercut US milling, one more time.

I for one am ready to stop all imports of any forest products, less see,
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335