Log exports; was field skills lacking?

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Dec 11 19:32:38 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

> Joseph Zorzin wrote:
>

> > Regarding exporting logs- heck, we import stuff, we have to export
> > stuff; and our exports haven't equalled imports in decades so we can't
> > artificially reduce exporting logs. If local mills can't afford to
> > compete, too bad. That's capitialism.
> >

> Yeh, but, under NAFTA an import level for forest products was
> established with Canada, with set definitions and limitations on volumes
> (way damn high for my opinion) and now the "gift of NAFTA" is being
> returned in spades by the Canadians.  The US Customs folks have decided
> that wood imported that has been "milled" (changed from a stud to a stud
> with a hole drilled in it) does not fit the NAFTA volume quotas and is
> free to be imported with out regard to volume limits.  Any timber or
> wood that has been "post manufactured" is free of limitations.
> Competition with Canadian Timber is tough, with the goverment up their
> supporting the timber industry at even higher levels than the US.  The
> US Government has managed to undercut US milling, one more time.
>
> I for one am ready to stop all imports of any forest products, less see,
> if I was God.....................
> --
> Don Staples
> UIN 4653335
>
> My Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/

Well, here's the intersting thing... much of that Canadian timber
exported to America comes from America as logs- sent up there- milled
and sent back here as processed wood. The Canadians pay a much better
price for our logs than local mills; one reason according to one local
logger is that they have more modern mills that are more efficient. But
then again, I don't really know as the wood processing is not my domain.
I just sell the stumpage to whoever has the most money; ulitmate
destination unknows.

--
-------
http://forestmeister.com

http://forestmeister.com/global-online-essays/home.html
"Earth's only online forestry journal containing essays from the cutting
edge- no pun intended"