Today's Forests Lack Color

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Fri Dec 12 12:25:24 EST 1997

You may be seeing that the responses you get come with some baggage.
The good ol' forest service has disappointed a lot of people since the
'70s, but I've got to give you credit for hanging in there.  I won't get
any argument (from here) if I say that the local FS folk are
demoralized. The switch in policy from resource management to social
engineering is as likely an explanation as any for the awkward positions
they find themselves in.

I've gone on about this before but I've found that over the course of
its history, the FS has proven itself a master at influencing Congress
by 'social engineering' which I think, is nothing more than recognizing
and rewarding those who agree with you!
MH