Out of the closet...

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Fri Dec 12 11:33:56 EST 1997

In article <66qk1k$iql$1 at newsd-123.bryant.webtv.net>,
  HUN60 at webtv.net (Timothy Hunley) wrote:

> Eastern Hophornbeam in my area (Northeastern Ohio), sometimes presents a
> real problem through prolific regeneration.  This forms a secondary
> canopy so dense that desirable species cannot seed in.  This species is
> noncommercial today because when it becomes small saw timber size, it is
> hollow.  In by-gone-days this very hard wood was used to make mallet
> heads.
>
> A little ingenuity can still find uses for these logs
> ie.  Cut-em and roll-em into a stream(temporary culvert) , rain gutters
> (two out of one log), sluce to wash your gold (if you got any)----But
> hug-em-----I don't know----

Assuming this species is still solid at 6 inches diameter, they may make
find mushroom logs. Lentinulla edodes (shiitake) and Pleurotus ostreatus
(oyster) like most hardwoods. I am unaware if anyone has tried using
Eastern Hornbeam as a bedlog. While larger diameter logs +can+ be used
for mushroom bedlogs, smaller diameter logs which are straight and
relatively limb-free are preferred. Most hardwoods will grow one or more
species of desirable mushroom, and pay for the labor to process them.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com