Today's Forests Lack Color

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Dec 12 05:53:06 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

> I'll give a personal note on why Texas took the steps they have, My
> daughter was valedictorian of her school, 1st out of some 400 kids.  She
> received the prestigious amount of $4700 in scholar ships, Salutatorian
> received $23,000.00 (half hispanic, family in the same income bracket we
> are), 10th place student received $26,000.00 (black, family medical
> professionals, income WAY above ours) all to the University of Texas.
> all three girls friends and stayed friends through the first year of
> college, then the 2nd place and the 10th place girls left to follow some
> other interest, while my daughter stayed on, and will graduate in May.
> The scholarships were based purely on race, and race alone, as admited
> by The University in federal court trial brought by two white students
> who were rejected at UT, while lessor placed minority students were
> accepted.

Scholarships should be based primarily on talent and need. I agree that
in this case, race has no part. Hey, tell me about it. I graduated third
out of 110 in high school and didn't get a nickel in scholarships and I
needed it too. Most who got anything at all got it because of their
connections. My family weren't big socializers. I'm still pissed about
this 30 years later. And this of course this was BEFORE affirmative
action. So although I agree that what happened to your daughter wasn't
fair, unfairness has been around since the dawn of time.

> Affirmative action, when used as THE weighted criteria, does not benefit
> anyone except those organizations that wish to fill a quota and appear
> politically correct.
>
> All should have an equal chance based on ability, anything less adds to
> the dumbing down of America.

I agree 100% but that implies that IF ONLY we got rid of affirmative
action, we'd be back to the fair way things used to be. They were never
fair. Things were mostly fair to wealthy white males of the proper
social class. So how do we get REALLY fair? Not by throwing out the laws
but by making them better. If we really got rid of all the "progressive"
legislation of the past 30 years, we wouldn't have the utopia that
morons like Rush Limbaugh say; we'd be back to the middle ages. One of
my very wealthly clients said to me, "If only we got rid of the capital
gains tax, our economy would boom to the advantage of the poor". Yuh,
right. <G>
--
-------
http://forestmeister.com

http://forestmeister.com/global-online-essays/home.html
"Earth's only online forestry journal containing essays from the cutting
edge- no pun intended"