Log exports; was field skills lacking?

Larry Stamm larryst at vis.bc.ca
Tue Dec 16 11:37:52 EST 1997

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 18:23:03 -0500, Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com>
wrote:

>Larry Stamm wrote:
  My point is
>> that although it may make immediate financial sense to the owner of the timber
>> to export it, that raw material is then lost for further manufacture in the
>> local community, and the effects of that loss can ripple a long way.   For the
>> community as a whole, it rarely is preferable to sell raw materials when it is
>> possible to manufacture them further.
>>
>> And from my understanding of history, the fact that so much NFS timber was
>> exported from the NW as raw logs in the 70's was fuel for the environmental
>> movement against logging on NFS land.  Maybe the spotted owl would not have
>> garnered so much support if more of that wood was being locally manufactured
>> into quality products; if so, maybe today there would be more local mills still
>> around to bid on today's export logs.  Making a quick buck usually means that
>> somebody else at some other time pays the cost in lost opportunities.
>> --
>
>That all sounds good, but how are you going to make it happen? And if we
>prevent logs from being exported perhaps we should also prevent some
>imports; isn't that also going to be necessary?

Good question.  My thoughts are: either work towards a truly free and open log
market with wide participation (sales over the Internet?) and have no
regulations about importing or exporting logs; or place restrictions on both the
import and export of logs.  The mechanisms to enforce such restrictions are
already in place in Alberta and BC, but it would violate some NAFTA terms I
think.   The first option is probably better if there was a level playing field
in all jurisdictions, but much harder to implement.

--
Larry Stamm
PO Box 561