Out of the closet...

J. Fiske jfiske at lightlink.com
Thu Dec 18 08:00:02 EST 1997

I know this ain't proper, but I hope I can get away with posting to the
original here, instead of the reply.

The minor eastern hardwoods are important to me for a variety of reasons,
chiefly I suppose because I like something a little different.

In my part of the world, Eastern Hophornbeam is a very consistent mast
producer. It is not at all unusual to find fairly large concentrations of
"patridge" (Ruffed Grouse) feeding in stands of Hophornbeam well into the
fall and early winter. I like to hunt these guys, so on my land the
Hophornbeam stays around for as long as I can get it to hang in there.
(I've recommended this to a couple of local hunt clubs as well, and they
have had good success with it.)

I guess the main point here is to be sure we don't forget that timber
production may not be the top priority for a lot of landowners, and as
responsible forest management practitioners, we want to make sure we do our
job... which is, of course, to help the owner meet THEIR objectives of
ownership!

O.K., I'll get down off the soapbox now and put it away ... have a Merry
Christmas and Happy Holidays!

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote in article
<881944008.660340751 at dejanews.com>...