Log exports/sustainability

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Thu Dec 18 12:19:59 EST 1997

Larry Stamm wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:47:25 -0800, Michael Hagen <mhagen at mail.olympus.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I've heard about a 'movement' in BC which is trying to get some control
> >over cutting rates with the goal of increasing employment. The
> >Ecoforesty folk are in on it. It seems to involve pooling logs at a
> >central sorting point and then playing the market but what I heard was
> >not clear. Do you have any knowledge about this?
> >MH
>
> I think you are referring to the log sort and auction yard in Lumby in
> southeast of BC.  This program was started in 1993 by Jim Smith of the Vernon
> Forest Service office under the Small Business program of the BC Forest Service
> and is officially known as the Vernon Log Sale Project.
>
> About 50,000 cubic metres of coniferous timber are harvested and sold annually
> by the Ministry of Forests in this project.  Logging is done under contract,
> and most of the cutblocks are harvested by various selection and shelterwood
> methods, as opposed to clearcuts.  All wood is trucked to the sort yard in Lumby
> where it is hand scaled and sorted according to species and grade.  Usually
> there are about 5 or 6 species and 30 different sorts.  Special sorts are done
> upon request, in lots as little as a single log for high value grades.  The logs
> are sold at a weekly auction sale open to anybody.  Average price per metre has
> been around $100, with sales up to the $500 range.
>
> In 1995 the environmental organization Greenpeace hired Herb Hammond of Silva
> Forest Foundation to find and certify a parcel of forest land that might be
> certifiable as being logged according to Greenpeace's standards for ecologically
> sustainable forestry.   The result was that 3 areas scheduled for logging to
> supply the Lumby sort yard were selected and certified.  These stands are young
> (under 100 years) and are being managed to eventually produce a late
> successional stage stand.  The current entry cut is a light thinning, removing
> only 30% or so of the stems.  So we have the remarkable situation that
> Greenpeace has actually put its stamp of approval on some logging being done by
> the BC Forest Service.
>
> This project has been a resounding success from everyone's point of view.  The
> Ministry of Forests is recieving about 4 times more net revenue than if it had
> sold the timber on the stump, there are over 3 times the normal jobs being
> generated in the layout, logging, and sorting process, and small secondary
> manufacturers finally have a ready source of the grade of raw materials they
> need for their operations.  And Greenpeace is happy!
>
> I think much of the success lies in the personnel involved in the project,
> starting with Jim Smith in the Forest Service.  The scaling crew is first rate
> (and mostly women).  The forest type locally there yields a variety of softwood
> species in many grades.  And there was already a number of small value added
> [...]

Excellant!  That's pretty much what I had heard via the grapevine. The
issues of sustainability, local control, making a decent return and
political buy-in all seem to have been addressed.
My next question is: are these lands Crown or small private owners? And
if they're Crown lands, how did they escape being tenured to the big
outfits?
This is the sort of info which will bring the policy makers out of the
woodwork.
MH