Out of the closet...

Paul Morgan t2r6 at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 18 19:09:10 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin wrote in message <3499264B.7DDE at forestmeister.com>...
>J. Fiske wrote:
>>

>> In my part of the world, Eastern Hophornbeam is a very consistent mast
>> producer. It is not at all unusual to find fairly large concentrations of
>> "patridge" (Ruffed Grouse) feeding in stands of Hophornbeam well into the
>> fall and early winter. I like to hunt these guys, so on my land the
>> Hophornbeam stays around for as long as I can get it to hang in there.
>> (I've recommended this to a couple of local hunt clubs as well, and they
>> have had good success with it.)
>
>I'm amazed that anyone can actually bag a partrige. You don't know
>they're there until they "explode" into the air, then vanish. You have
>to be quick on the draw. I don't think I'd like to be hiking nearby when
>partridge hunters are rapidly raising their guns and trying to hit one.
>
>But this seems more of a sport than going after large game, like a moose
>which is as big as a barn by comparison.

Thats not how you hunt partridge!  You sit quietly waiting for a deer or
bear until it gets too dark.  Then you take the head off of the closest
grouse with a silver tip from your scoped 30/06.  Pop the breast out and
head home.  Clean, neat, no pesky shot to worry about, and better for your
heart than setting off partridge landmines.

BTW, somebody a while back mentioned that hophornbeam goes hollow at a
certain point.  Any idea when?  Is it an age or diameter thing?

-- Paul
                       Morgan Forest Products
                              - Since 2006 -
    "Real Wood - Because Life is too Long for Plastic"