Western Ancient Forest Activists Conference February 13-15, 1998

Western Ancient Forest Campaign wafcdc at igc.apc.org
Mon Dec 22 17:45:26 EST 1997

From: Steve Holmer <wafcdc at igc.apc.org>
Subject: Western Ancient Forest Activists Conference February  13-15,  1998

Headwaters' Western Ancient Forest Activists Conference February
13-15, 1998
     Hundreds of forest activists will convene in Ashland for
Headwaters' 7th annual Western Ancient Forest Activists Conference at
Southern Oregon University.  This is a great opportunity for activists to
gather and make new acquaintances while networking with friends and
colleagues from throughout the West.  We'll be reviewing the successes
and setbacks of 1997, planning future strategies, obtaining crucial
training, and getting royally entertained.

     Specifically, we will be planning political strategies and the next
year of legislative battles.  We'll have an update on the state of the
grassroots forest activist movement, with representatives from various
campaigns active and planned in the West.  This year's Science
Seminar will feature Louisa Willcox, Reed Noss, and Dominick
DellaSala discussing various approaches to large scale biodiversity
conservation focused on Roadless Areas.

     Several intensive workshops will offer activists training sessions
to improve our effectiveness.  These will include Media Skills &
Strategies, Computer (GIS) Mapping, On-Line Networking, Coalition
Building, and a workshop for board members of activist organizations.
Shorter sessions will include wilderness campaigns, federal forest
issues, legislation (Zero Cut, Clean Water, ESA), legal (Option 9,
ICBEMP), grazing issues, private lands protection strategies, direct
action, corporate power, citizen ballot initiatives, a discussion on the
organizational culture of activist organizations.

     To receive more information about the conference, call
Headwaters at 541-482-4459. Email headwtrs at mind.net.  Or write
to: P.O. Box 729, Ashland, OR 97520. Monday February 16th is a
holiday, so you can spend some time seeing Ashland and the
bioregion after the conference.  We all look forward to
seeing you in Ashland in February!
                                                           Headwaters

Steve Holmer
Campaign Coordinator