board footage for cord of wood

ForestFair forestfair at aol.com
Mon Dec 22 22:54:10 EST 1997

Just happens that I received a copy of the TIMBER MANAGEMENT FIELD BOOK in the
mail a couple of days ago, and it's full of tables and formulas I never thought
I'd use.  But maybe I will, after all.

The cords perMBF vary with DBH, as you surmised.  One table in the book is:

No. Cords Per MBF and No. of Board Feet Per Cord
By Tree Diameters For Pine Timber, (International 1/4" Rule)

DBH      BOARD FT. PER CORD     CORDS PER MBF
10            288                                             3.5
12            342                                             2.9
14            378                                             2.6
16            405                                             2.5
24            450                                             2.2

Figures for 18, 20, 22 DBH are in the table, but as you can see, the volume
doesn't change as rapidly as you go up in diameter.

ForestFair