Garrey Oak Woodlands fungi ?

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Sun Dec 28 13:34:07 EST 1997

In article <34a631ff.89688633 at news.netshop.net>,
  williams at netshop.net (Mycos) wrote:

> Anybody have any info on what species of fungi are associated with the
> Garry Oak Woodlands ecosystems? Any species of macrofungi that show a
> preference for Garry Oak either mycorrhizae or saprophytes on oak
> detritus ? Anectodotal and personal observations would be fine.

There is at least one species of Rhizopogon associated with Oregon White
oak (Quercus garryana), which I presume is the Garry Oak you are
referring to. Last year I found a Tuber species (true truffle), as yet
unnamed, under a canopy of Oregon White oak and ankle-deep poison oak.

Shiitake (Lentinula edodes) grows well on bed-logs of Oregon White, as
well as Bear's Head (Hericium erinaceus). In Oregon, Oregon White is also
the preferred species for growing Beefsteak Fungus (Fistulina hepatica),
a mushroom that + bleeds+ when sliced, and contains a high vitamin C
content. While the Beefsteak has not yet been cultivated, it should be
fairly easy to tame using the same techniques used to grow Oyster
mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus), which also grows well on oak, alder,
cottonwood and most woody debris. (Try growing this on used coffee
grounds in 5 gallon buckets!)

David Aurora's excellent Mushrooms Demystified contains a list of perhaps
60 species of fungi which associate with oak trees in general. He also
states: Oaks are endowed with a rich array of fleshy fungi that differ
drastically from the conifer-lovers typical of northern California and
the Pacific Northwest. In fact, oaks appear to have more mycorrhizal
partners than any other angiosperms (hardwoods), and mushroom lovers are
indeed fortunate that they are the dominant forest trees of the central
California coast. Oaks also boast the longest mushroom season of any
local forest type.

If interested in fungi cultivation, I strongly urge you to purchase
Mushrooms Demystified. Another excellent resource is The Mushroom
Cultivator and Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com