looking for ideas

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Wed Dec 31 05:46:05 EST 1997

Jkrist wrote:

> I am an editorial writer and opinion-page columnist for a 100,000-circulation
> daily newspaper in Southern California. I have been awarded a fellowship by the
> Society of Professional Journalists to research non-confrontational resolutions
> of environmental conflicts, and I am inviting suggestions from members of this
> group.

"non-confrontational resolutions of environmental conflicts"??
Interesting and impossible. <G>

There can't be "non-confrontational resolutions of environmental
conflicts" because the 2 sides are of different cultures- with
exceptions of course. It's like trying to find "non-confrontational
resolutions" for peace in the middle east. Only in your dreams. <G>

> The subjects I am interested in are preservation of biodiversity, including
> recovery of endangered species; resource extraction, including logging, mining,
> grazing and water diversion; and rural land use patterns. I am particularly
> seeking approaches that rely on collaboration or market-based forces to produce
> outcomes that are economically desirable and biologically sound. These may
> include such things as adoption of sustainable rangeland or forestry
> techniques, development of voluntary habitat conservation plans, and use of
> conservation easements or land trusts to prevent urban sprawl and habitat
> fragmentation.

Collaboration? In our severly class segregated society filled with
millions of lawyers? All of these approaches you mention do occur now
but only after smart politicians cover over the fact that all of these
methods of conservation occur ONLY because of money changing hands or
craftily designed tax gimics to allow landholders to now look as if
they're the Great Conservationist- which is a long way from "market
based forces". Much of this slow moving struggle would be avoided if we
had governments with the courage to properly zone landscapes- which
would have prevented the destruction of millions of acres of land in
strip developements with the resulting habitat fragmentation. The
"father of regional planning", Benton McKaye, wrote a book on this
subject back in the '30s warning of what would happen without zoning. By
the way, he is also the idea man behind the Appalachin Trail. But
zonning is anethema to most Americans brainwashed with the idea that is
a form of "Soviet Planning" and it will take away their freedom- their
freedom to muscle greater resources for themselves- than the natural
distribution of talent would otherwise allow them.

> If you know of a specific example of such techniques being used to resolve a
> potential conflict over natural resources or land use, I would appreciate
> hearing from you. Please include a brief description of the program, along with
> the name and phone number or address of a contact person if possible. Please
> reply directly to me by e-mail at: JKrist at aol.com.

And please post a copy of your message to John Krist in this newsgroup.
This should be gist for a lengthy discussion. <G>

--
-------
http://forestmeister.com