Temperate Agroforestry Websites

Karl Davies kdavies at igc.apc.org
Tue Dec 30 20:07:23 EST 1997

TEMPERATE AGROFORESTRY WEBSITES

Here's some info for those who stop by mistakenly looking for
agroforestry discussion in bionet.agroforestry <G>.  The
following are website addresses and descriptions for several
organizations involved with different aspects of temperate
agroforestry.

Association for Temperate Agroforestry (AFTA):
www.missouri.edu/~afta_home.html

This group has been around for about 15 years.  It publishes a
quarterly newsletter and organizes conferences every three years.
It's mostly oriented towards academic researchers and Forest
Service/Extension people, but there are some `practitioners.`
Membership dues are $25.

Northern Nut Growers Association (NNGA): www.icserv.com/nnga

Some may question whether nut growing is agroforestry or
horticulture.  I suppose it depends on how you do it.  This group
has been around for nearly 90 years.  Almost as old and venerable
as the SAF! <G> The group publishes a quarterly newsletter and an
annual report of papers presented at the annual meeting.  The
NNGA is, I believe, unique among such groups in its inclusion of
academic researchers and `practitioners.`  They/we all get along
and learn a lot from each other.  J Russel Smith, author of Tree
Crops: A Permanent Agriculture was an early member of the NNGA.
Membership dues are $20.

Permaculture International:
www.nor.com.au/environment/perma/index.html

Permaculture is the term coined by Bill Mollison of Australia 25
years ago to describe his vision of a `permanent agriculture`
based mainly on perennial plants/trees.  Permaculture is
something of a `movement` embracing many aspects of alternative
culture.  The group sponsors regional workshops and training for
people who want to become Permaculture consultants.  They also
publish a quarterly journal and sell many books on Permaculture
and related subjects.

This list is not exhaustive.  If you know of other groups/sites,
please post them.  Happy surfing and Good Growing!

Karl Davies, Consulting Forester/Agroforester
Northampton, MA