subscript

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Mon Feb 3 13:20:09 EST 1997

Jamie Simpson wrote:

> Don Staples wrote:
> >
> > I would ask a question of you.  what is the Canadian view of the timber trade agreement
> > between you country and the US?  My understanding (gathered from a report presented to
> > your parliment and reported on the net) is that it is a locked in agreement for 5 years
> > with not negotiation on price or volume.  Comments?
> Ever since the US and Canada began trade in forest products there has
> been acrimony. Five years with an agreement is a long needed break from
> the fight.  Where exactly did you find the posting on the net?  Was this
> part of the FTA or a separate agreement?  If it is part of the FTA we in
> Canada have less to worry about our forest products and more to worry
> about our water.

I found it posted in records of your parliment procedings, I dont have
the URL at hand for the moment.  I agree that there should probably be a
break in some of the "I said, you said" type of negotiations.  I also
feel that the timber agreement as stated was from FTA sources.  And
welcome aboard on concerns over water, it will be the worrisom source of
problems in the rural US for the new millenium.