? for group - what do you do/where located

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sun Feb 2 23:35:53 EST 1997

In article <32EF90AC.6206 at cp.duluth.mn.us>,
"Geary N. Searfoss" <gscpa at cp.duluth.mn.us> wrote:

> I'm a forester/CPA residing in Duluth, MN. I work with private landowners
> helping them mitigate the impact of federal and state income taxes in
> regard to their timber investments. I also own and operate two tree farms
> - both in Wisconsin.

What kind of trees to you grow there in Wisconsin?  Do you stick with
native hardwoods, or have you converted to softwood plantations?

I was out thinning and pruning today.  The weather here was about 55 degrees,
and I spent the whole day in a T-shirt working up a pretty good sweat.
Eat your heart out. :)

Anyway, I started wondering if I was making any money pruning.  I've
heard that the only people who make money off of pruning are the mills,
since they don't pay a premium for pruned logs.  I suppose I'll keep
doing it, since I'm a few years yet from harvesting any logs.  Still,
I could be sitting on my rear writing stuff to usenet instead of catching
a record case of poison oak trying to improve my trees. :)

-- Larry