? for group - what do you do/where located

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Mon Feb 3 11:55:51 EST 1997

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <32EF90AC.6206 at cp.duluth.mn.us>,
> "Geary N. Searfoss" <gscpa at cp.duluth.mn.us> wrote:
>
> > I'm a forester/CPA residing in Duluth, MN. I work with private landowners
> > helping them mitigate the impact of federal and state income taxes in
> > regard to their timber investments. I also own and operate two tree farms
> > - both in Wisconsin.
>
> What kind of trees to you grow there in Wisconsin?  Do you stick with
> native hardwoods, or have you converted to softwood plantations?
>
> I was out thinning and pruning today.  The weather here was about 55 degrees,
> and I spent the whole day in a T-shirt working up a pretty good sweat.
> Eat your heart out. :)
>
> Anyway, I started wondering if I was making any money pruning.  I've
> heard that the only people who make money off of pruning are the mills,
> since they don't pay a premium for pruned logs.  I suppose I'll keep
> doing it, since I'm a few years yet from harvesting any logs.  Still,
> I could be sitting on my rear writing stuff to usenet instead of catching
> a record case of poison oak trying to improve my trees. :)
>
> -- Larry

Yep, that's one reason I moved away from your otherwise fantastic part
of the country.  Isn't poison oak the dominant vegetation there?
Also, how much of a price bonus do you get with a 1/4 pruned 40' log?
My arms aren't that long. Here export wood is graded primarily on
appearance but minimum lengths are still too long to prune .