Non timber forest products

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Mon Feb 3 19:46:53 EST 1997

I recieved the Sep/Oct edition of TREE FARMER magazine just last week
(their mailings could be imoproved), and there was quite a bit of talk
about non-timber forest products.  Sounds alot like agroforestry.

There were several articles about different forest products, ones that most
foresters probably fail to recognize.  Collecting berries and nuts didn't
seem to be much as far as income generators.  One landowner sold greens at
Christmas and managed to pay half of his property tax from the proceeds.
However, there was an article on truffles.  The Oregon white truffle was
being sold to fancy restaurants in Portland for $60 per pound.  Another
landower was growing shitake mushrooms, converting one cord of wood into
$600 of mushrooms.  Of course, there was an article about maple syrup.
Finally, there was talk about herbs and medicinals.  I know that ginseng
fetches a high price, however, interest in growing ginseng seems to be very
localized.   The magazine even gave a name of a distributor in forest
botanicals.

I was wondering if, as consultants, we should be investigating other
non-timber forest products (NTFP)?  Afterall, aren't we supposed to be
maximizing the yield of the forest for our clients?  Does this only mean
fiber?

Aside from wildlife management and recreation, are there any other NTFPs we
should be considering?

Time to dust off the old Euell Gibbons books!