Pruning for profit

Jamie Simpson central at scrutinizer.net
Tue Feb 4 01:00:45 EST 1997

The research site I work on is pruned every year with the goal of
creating veneer quality logs.  However, we have to prune to allow the
farm equipment access to the crops - yep, that's right - we're
practicing agroforestry.  Widely spaced trees with crops growing between
(corn, beans winter wheat in rotation).  As there is no competition from
the side the trees must be pruned to preserve any sawlog qualities.  We
expect to receive a significant premium from logs that may be of veneer
quality.  For instance, a mature black walnut veneer quality log (~60
yrs old) may sell for $1500 Cdn or more.  Pruning is done with a pole
pruner up to 16 feet (or higher if possible).  This is not a difficult
job when you get the hang of it.