New Member

gates gates at gates.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 19:39:50 EST 1997

In article <32F592B0.E9D at scrutinizer.net>, Jamie Simpson
<central at scrutinizer.net> writes
>LPayne1009 wrote:
>>
>>   Enough chit chat, here's a real question to throw out there.  I run our
>> reforestation program and am thinking of trying some fertilizer.  i.e. the
>> teabags or tablets you plant w/ the tree.  In No. Cal. water is most
>> limiting but it still seems to me this could give a boost when there is a
>> growing window.  Any experiences with this stuff?  I've seen research
>> that's shown both an effect and no effect.
>
>I recently read some papers from a conference on biomass production.  It
>seems to me that one of the major concerns was water availability.
>Fertilizer will not benefit a tree unless it has the water it needs.
>Spacing and competition control trials should be your first priority,
>especially where moisture is limiting.
So when are foresters going to use houseplant watering granules?  The
fibre etc. they displace reduces their cost and so does bulk buying.
Also the Leaky Hose Co. method of artificial watering can be set up to
use, say, a fixed level of natural water supply.  ie it cuts off if the
stream etc. level is really low but operates at all other times.  After
a period hose can be pulled out the leaves and set down elsewhere.  A
plant in the system or cistern can even be used to occasionally
introduce fertiliser.  The slurry from a pig and chicken poo double oil
drum gas collector running a whole house's cooking needs will feed a lot
of trees a long time.  All you do is shovel out the dry granules at the
bottom into a mixing pond set in the water supply system.  This could be
a sunken kids paddling pool.  You thank the bacteria, wave at the trees
and go make coffee using your free gas.  Regards,  Les,

Tree Wizard of The White Brethren.
Les Ballard         Les at gates.demon.co.uk

c/o BM: Gates of Annwn       (The Pagan contact magazine)
London WC1N 3XX,  U.K.       44+(0)1708 670431

No copyright statement is attached as the author is litigious.