Non timber forest products

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Feb 6 14:39:25 EST 1997

Michael Hagen wrote:

> Don Staples wrote:
> >

> > You never know what your burning, or herbiciding.
>
> Don,
>         I didn't know that there was Taxus in Texas (sorry  ;-).  Stripping yew
> trees was a big fiasco here on the Olympic Peninsula. Yew logs were
> commonly slashed and burned with the other 'cull' debris after a
> clearcut. The wood is truly handsome but because of the small piece
> size, extreme slope of grain and a tendency to warp, it was used only by
> hand craftsmen. So it was worthless to the big owners.
>         I still have some rough cut slabs aging in my woodshed.
> Mike Hagen

No taxus, just taxes.  No, the call for material went out across the US,
and I was with the Forest Service at the time, and followed alot of the
requests for material.  There is not telling what bio-active distillates
the folks came up with, at one count they had some 1500 species they had
been working with, a drop in the bucket from the number of species found
in the rain forests of SA, but still, I was pleased the interest was
there.

Regards.