Non timber forest products

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Fri Feb 7 13:29:33 EST 1997

Jamie Simpson wrote:

> Don Staples wrote:
>
> > Sadly, it is a by product of long term forest management that is
> > overlooked.
>
> There is a reputed cure for cancer called "ESSIAC" named after a nurse
> that worked in south central Ontario.  Her name was Irene Caisse (spell
> the name backwards to get the connection).  There are apperently
> documented cases of remission when this drug, a Native remedy composed
> of local herbs, was taken.  Some of the health food stores stock a ready
> made solution.  However, the ingredients can be bought in bulk from
> these same stores at a much reduced cost.  A search on the web will
> produce some history on this concoction and a recipe.  How many more
> potential benefits are we overlooking?  This may be the best argument
> for preserving 'biodiversity'.

Agreed, but the problem is the age old resistance to use "old" methods, and the natural
resistance of the medical industry to accept something that is not out of the lab,and
with years of research and development.

Secondarily, if you look at the records, such research has been dismissed as being
foisted on the public by preservationists. I am not a preservationist, just a field
forester, but I see potential in long term mixed species management.  Both in quality of
product produced, and value of secodary benefits.

With the diversity in the US, there should be an ability of the feds to set up a
relitively inexpensive research project to search out the bio-active ingrediants of
plants, and set about the mechanism to recognize the management of some species for long
term benefits to man.