CO2 and Global Warming

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Tue Feb 18 19:55:02 EST 1997

I think that mankind is an arrogant lot.  They feel they can upset the
whole atmosphere and the environment in about 150 years - the length of the
industrial revolution.  How much CO2 is put out in a good forest fire?  We
have diminished the number and the severity of such blazes.  I'm sure we
have offset the numbers by our CO2 emissions, however, I doubt if it is
enough to warm the globe.

It's been my experience that an engine won't overheat unless the radiator
gets too hot.  Since the globe is covered by 75% water, it would mean that
the oceans would have to warm up before the atmosphere would warm up.
Those oceans would act as a mighty large heat sink.  All the studies that I
have seen have focused on air temperature at established weather stations.
How much have those microclimates changed since records began?

I'm not a proponant of wholesale fossil fuel burning or use of chemicals,
etc.  I would like to see more widespread use of "environmental friendly"
items.  However, as long as there is a capitalist system which dictates
that the cheapest products are the ones which are consumed, then we will
deserve the environment we get.