Lombardy poplars

D.E.Gerrard David at glosfor.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 12:36:19 EST 1997

In article <330C59DB.47D2 at vt.edu>, Donna Lafon <dlafon at vt.edu> writes
>PLEASE RESPOND TO HRISUSER at VT.EDU - NOT TO THE ADDRESS IN THE TOP
>RIGHT CORNER.
>

>I want to use Lombardy poplars as a windbreak and divider between us
>and our neighbors but someone told me the roots can grown into
>foundations and crack them and cause real damage to the homes.  Is
>this true?
>
>PLEASE RESPOND TO HRISUSER at VT.EDU
Roots do not crack foundations (or very rarealy This of course will
start a new thread in cases that they did)
Rather the water demand of the tree causes disication of the sub base
causing shrinkage (that of presumes the subbase is clay) which causes
resultant settlement in the foundation.
The NHBC publication !Trees near Buildingss! lists the Lombardy in the
high water demand cateogory so it depends how far your windbreak is
going to be from your house and what the ground is like.

Hope this is of some help
Dave.

!Its a hard life in the Mountains!

--