EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

Bob Tiernan zulu at teleport.com
Mon Feb 24 00:58:28 EST 1997

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, D. Braun wrote:

> wbg wrote:

>>  Give me a break, and check your facts before recyclying the
>>  anti-capitalist Greens crap. We have more trees today in North America
>>  than we had in 1900. Since that verifiable fact might impair your
>>  ideologically bent polemics, you'd prefer to pretend it doesn't exist.

> Stinky red herring, left over from the Limbaugh show (Hey, I wouldn't eat
> it either). The number of trees isn't the issue, its the quality of the
> forest--- and old-growth forests have irreplaceable qualities in addition
> to valuable timber.

Well, I agree that it's a wee bit disingenuous to neglect to mention that
a lot of these trees are in neat little rows in tree farms, but that info
wasn't needed when the point being made was of the oxygen being produced
by the trees.  In that case, it doesn't matter where the trees are so long
as they're there.  But there are numerous area outside of tree farms that
have a lot more trees than say a hundred years ago, as photos of the 1874
Black Hills expedition photos show compared to pictures of the same
locations today.

Bob T.