Maximum number of species in a forest

alland at whidbey.com alland at whidbey.com
Mon Feb 24 12:11:34 EST 1997

I'm writing a timber cruise program which I'd like to be useful outside my
little corner of the world. It is capable of handling 12 different tree species
at a time right now but I'm thinking of reducing this to 10 because:
(1) it would alleviate some report formating problems and
(2) I've never encountered more than seven species in a stand here in
northwestern Washington State.

My question to the newsgroup is: How many different tree species have you
ever encountered in a stand-level inventory? I'm not interested in theoretical
numbers, but actual counts. Please state the location, and if possible the
species.

Allan Derickson
Freeland, Washington, U.S.A.  alland at REMOVE_THISwhidbey.com
(remove REMOVE_THIS to reply or messages will bounce)