Maximum number of species in a forest

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Tue Feb 25 18:02:23 EST 1997

alland at whidbey.com wrote in article <5esi46$isv at news.whidbey.com>...
> I'm writing a timber cruise program which I'd like to be useful outside
my
> little corner of the world. It is capable of handling 12 different tree
species
> at a time right now but I'm thinking of reducing this to 10 because:
> (1) it would alleviate some report formating problems and
> (2) I've never encountered more than seven species in a stand here in
> northwestern Washington State.
>
> My question to the newsgroup is: How many different tree species have you
> ever encountered in a stand-level inventory? I'm not interested in
theoretical
> numbers, but actual counts. Please state the location, and if possible
the
> species.
>
> Allan Derickson
> Freeland, Washington, U.S.A.  alland at REMOVE_THISwhidbey.com
> (remove REMOVE_THIS to reply or messages will bounce)

In Pennsylvania,  timber sale may include:  red oak, black oak, chestnut
oak, white oak, scarlet oak, pin oak, black birch, red maple, hard maple,
white ash, white pine, black cherry, black walnut, and tulip poplar.  Also
lumped into misc. species are generally: beech, elm, black locust, black
gum, Virginia pine, and a few other minor species (I even ran into
shortleaf pine once).  A lot depends on the diversity of the stands.  It is
not uncommon to have at least 4 different species of oak, each generating a
different value by bidders.  If there are only a few of certain species,
they could be lumped together as misc. species, depending on what the
cruise is used for.

I do not know of anyone who is using tree grades at this time.  They
should, but it seems to be too much bookkeeping for the forester, and the
buyers don't seem to know how to use the information or trust the
forester's grade.