Hemp - the fiber of the past

Scott Golden sgolden at vth.colostate.edu
Wed Jan 1 18:27:37 EST 1997

	What is the nutrient toll on soils used to cultivate hemp?  I have
heard that it is a very depleting crop.  Is it used on a crop rotational
basis?  Do we take food crops out of production in order to accomodate the
cultivation of hemp, or turn yet more woodland into plowed fields?  It
seems to me that the short rotational agro-forests, as in the southern US,
are a much more successful and viable option for fiber production.  These
forests are more aesthetically pleasing and surely a more "natural"
environment than a hemp plantation.

Just curious,
Scott G.