Professional Forester - usenet?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Fri Jan 10 14:15:21 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> Brian Simm wrote:
>
> > I sympathize with you. There is little or no Forestry related traffic
> > here. Or anywhere for the most park. I think we're all a bunch of
> > introverts for the most pary.
> > Brian
>
> Then let's talk it up.
>
> Who brought the beer?
>
> There's plenty of things to talk about.

Damn, brother, tell it all, tell it all!

> 1. Why forestry has generally not been excepted by the world as a real
> profession- which is why foresters keep having to say the idiotic term
> "professional forester". Who ever heard a lawyer saying he was a
> "professional lawyer"?

The profession has never been recognized because of the logging industry image, we are
all part of the action against the land owner.  Environmentalists have deamonized the
forester as the raper of the land,and ignore the up side of say, what 90%?, of our
successes.

> 2. Why the forestry bureaucrats don't have a clue (my favorite pet
> peeve)

The bureaucrates are the bean counters, non-foresters looking at the bottem line.

> 3. Why so many "mud on their boots" type foresters feel that
> environmentalists are aliens from another planet. I don't feel that way.
> I have plenty of mud on my boots and I also consider myself an
> environmentalist too. Not every big tree is "overmature".

I agree, but every environmentalists sees us as the enemy.

> 4. Why forestry jobs have been so scarce the past 20 years. Don't blame
> the environmentalists- blame past land raping loggers who scared many
> landowners from doing forestry- at least in New England.

See above.  Same across the country.  Anybody can grow a tree, don't need a degree to do
that, yeh right.  Private landowners sell timber maybe three times in their lifetime,
the loggers take advantage to guarentee their profit, the mill cuts the logger, and the
land owner pays the bills, the forester is left argueing about why they sould replant at
75 years of age.  It is image, and lack of decent state guidlines on licensing the
loggers, not the foresters.  At least make them accountable.

> 5. Lets talk about forester licensing- just now happening in
> Massachusetts- where in the world are foresters licensed? The licensing
> program in Mass. is "brain dead" from the start. I could go on and on
> about this subject.
> No need, industrial foresters want it for the "image".

> 6. How can forestry tools be improved? I'm getting tired of tree marking
> paint getting on me. Let's develop something more modern like "laser
> guns" or whatever.
> Disagree here, bro, that's my time in the woods, when I impact the land, for better or
for worse.

> 7. Lets talk about this issue of insurance- most foresters I know don't
> have any if they're consultants-

Insurance companies see us as a cherry tree, ripe for plucking, with no history of
losses on hand.  I dont have the insurance, either.

> 8. The use of computers in forestry. Most foresters I know are computer
> illiterate. What are they good for?

Maybe thats why there is only 3 of us talking on this group.  Maybe more listening,
HEY, ARE YOU LISTENING?  But the group in Texas is getting more and more on line,
probably reluctantly.  Even the State has allowed their foresters to go on line, when
the state does it you know it's at least 5 years past it's peak.

> 9. Lets talk about forestry education. My 4 year degree in forestry did
> not prepare me for the real world- even though I had good grades. I'm
> tired of the excuse by the teachers that they training you to think- not
> work. We don't get paid to think, we get paid to work. Maybe the
> teachers just don't know anything.

I use little of what was taught 30 years ago, much of what I learned on the job and in
continueing education.  (Still cant spell, must have been old Miss Smith in 2nd grade
that left out that ABC stuff)

> 10. What's the future of forestry with more land going under
> development?

Look at Europe for an answer, fewer foresters with more impact.

> I could go on all day. I don't expect anyone to agree with me- nobody
> ever does. <G> But this is a great forum to discuss these issues for
> those of us with better things to do than drive 100 miles or more to
> attend a Society of American Foresters conference to listen to people
> who don't have a clue.

I agree with most of our conversations, not all, but most.  The amazing thing is the
similarity of the consulting concerns from east to west, and in other anglo countries.
Many of us have little if any truely expanded communications training, and that hurts us
as a group (consultants)  as we face the State agencies, companies and environmentalists
with paid PR types bombbarding the media with their slant on things.  It is not the same
profession when you look at the pay roll foresters and their goals, same base, far
different view.

Just my 2cents.

And, say, who did bring the beer?